- What are the characteristics that make an effective leader?
- What types of governments emerged in the ancient world?
- How is power gained and maintained in the ancient world?
- What motivates expansion?
- Effective leaders maintain power over the people.
- The Athenian Democracy and the Roman Republic influenced the development of our government.
- Expansion can lead to conflict or prosperity
China: Mandate of heaven, Philosophy, Confucianism, Daoism, Legalism, Socrates, Confucius, Shi Huang Di, peasant, Great Wall
Mesopotamia: Hammurabi’s Code, laws,
Egypt: unify, monarchy, pharaoh, king, noble,
Greece: alliance (ally), dynasty, Athens, Sparta, oligarchy, Tyranny, democracy, citizenship, jury, Pericles, Alexander the Great, city-state/polis
Rome: empire, Republic (Plebeian, Patrician, Tripartite), checks and balances, Julius Caesar, Dictator, Augustus, treaty, Persian War, navy, Punic Wars
- Students will define characteristics of a strong leader using ancient and present day leaders as examples
- Study of the various forms of government in different civilizations and why
- Compare and Contrast a Direct and Representative Democracy
- Review the 3 branches of the U.S. government
- Understand how the Roman Republic influence the United State’s government
- Common themes of expansion in the ancient world
- Pros and Cons of expansion