- What are the characteristics that make an effective leader?
- What types of governments emerged in the ancient world?
- How is power gained and maintained in the ancient world?
- What motivates expansion?
- Effective leaders maintain power over the people.
- The Athenian Democracy and the Roman Republic influenced the development of our government.
- Expansion can lead to conflict or prosperity
Hammurabi’s Code, laws, unification, monarchy, king, Nobles/Elite, slaves, dynasty, Shi Huang Di, peasants, Athens,
Sparta, oligarchy, Tyranny, democracy, citizenship, jury, Pericles, Alexander the Great, empire, Republic, Plebeian,
Patrician, Tripartite, checks and balances, Julius Caesar, Dictator, Augustus, checks and balances, treaties, Persian War,
navy, Punic Wars,
- Students will define characteristics of a strong leader using ancient and present day leaders as examples
- Study of the various forms of government in different civilizations and why
- Compare and Contrast a Direct and Representative Democracy
- Review the 3 branches of the U.S. government
- Understand how the Roman Republic influence the United State’s government
- Common themes of expansion in the ancient world
- Pros and Cons of expansion